Values & Ethos
We believe that it is fundamentally important that children are given the opportunity to explore the issue of diversity and understand Britain as a multi-cultural society. We aim to provide a safe learning environment in which children can debate and explore challenging issues without fear or reservation and can hopefully engender an open attitude to multi-cultural and race issues. Through acts of collective worship, assemblies, classroom activities and developing and modelling effective relationships will broaden the opportunities for the children to develop their SMSC dimension.
We encourage our children to regard people of all faiths, race and culture with respect and tolerance. We seek to broaden their knowledge of what it is like living in a multi-cultural society and how we can participate fully in that society. We also want our children to understand that while different people hold different views about what is ‘right’ and what is ‘wrong’ everyone living in Britain are subject to its laws.
In other words we aim to:
- Enable students to develop their self-knowledge, self-esteem and self-confidence
- enable students to distinguish right from wrong and to respect the civil and criminal law of England
- encourage students to accept responsibility for their behaviour, show initiative, and to understand how they can contribute positively to the lives of those living and working in the locality of the school and to society more widely
- enable students to acquire a broad general knowledge of and respect for public institutions and services in England
- further tolerance and harmony between different cultural traditions by enabling students to acquire an appreciation for and respect for their own and other cultures
- encourage respect for other people, and
- encourage respect for democracy and support for participation in the democratic processes, including respect for the basis on which the law is made and applied in England.
See below for more information on how we promote the individual British Values in our school.